Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The wind behind Lloyd George


Yesterday, blessed with the gift of time, I was able to saunter round the statues in Parliament Square. In particular, I admired the two new additions.

Nelson Mandela is actually on a very low plinth, compared to the other statues. This makes him seem very accessible. People in taxis admire him as they are stopped at the traffic lights.

Stephen Tall blogged about the controversy over the Lloyd George statue. Well, he's next to Churchill, who wasn't without his controversial moments.

But, I was very taken by the wind behind Lloyd George. His coat is doubled up behind him, as if there is a sharp wind blowing it up and against his body. I have no idea why this is. Perhaps it is modelled on a photograph of the man - if it is, I can't find it. It's the work of sculptor, Glynn Williams.

Lloyd George was known as the "Welsh Wizard". It's a frivolous thought, but it did cross my mind that the wind might have something to do with his other nickname, the "Welsh Windbag".
An over indulgence in brussel sprouts perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment