Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The great success of the newspaper for kids


When "First News" was launched, Philip Hensher in the Independent described it as a "sickening...smug-sounding publication".

You'll recall that "First News" is the newspaper for children launched by Piers Morgan in May 2006. Well, I can confirm that, in its 88th edition, it is going down really well with one 10 year old who I know well. I have now given up trying to read the Guardian over our Saturday "Big Breakfast" after swimming. My offspring was excitedly telling me what she was reading in "First News" - a sort of running commentary for 30 minutes.

So now I just sit there and listen to the enthusiastic reports of the articles in "First News".

The paper presents the news for kids in a highly attractive and accessible format. It really is a rip-roaring success and Philip Hensher was obviously wrong.

Top stories from this week's issue are "Poo Power - Cow dung to provide green energy for a village", "More help help for runaway kids" and "Flood chaos in Mozambique".

It is brilliant to have a organ which encourages kids to read a newspaper from an early age.

No comments:

Post a Comment