Friday, November 2, 2007

Conservative Mayor of Newbury categorically contradicts Richard Benyon MP's statement to parliament

The minutes of the Newbury Town Council meeting of 22nd October have now been published in draft form. These minutes provide more detail of the Mayor's statement regarding Richard Benyon MP's statement to parliament about Newbury Town Council and a welcome reception for returning troops.

Mr Benyon's statement is covered in Hansard. I will not repeat any of it, because I think it may be legally hazardous. I relate the details of the episode here and there is a letter to the Newbury Weekly News on the matter here.

The minutes provide the more precise and full words used by the Conservative Mayor of Newbury on 22nd October. I have quoted the full questions and answers below. These phrases of the Mayor, spoken to the council leader Cllr Ian Grose, are particularly significant and once again underline why Richard Benyon MP should set the record straight in parliament:

When I received emails from Mike Johnston and yourself which both expressed your agreement to such a reception, I sent them without comment to Richard Benyon, the MP for Newbury, who had expressed his appreciation at this proposal, to indicate the wholehearted support from both sides of this Council for a reception, funded from the Mayor’s Civic budget. There was no comment from the MP to me either by email or verbally after sending these emails.I was not aware that the MP would make a statement to the House of Commons on this issue nor did he speak or communicate this in any way to me. I was only made aware of it when the Newbury Weekly News spoke to me about it. It is my view that you made it quite clear that you were supportive of this reception.

Both those bolded phrases absolutely contradict Richard Benyon MP's statement to parliament.

Here is the relevant exchange in full:

Councillor Ian Grose asked the following question:

“Our Standing Orders and Code of Conduct make it clear that any Member who uses their position to cause damage to others is guilty of misconduct. There is also the expectation that the position of Mayor is non-political, which is why I seconded the Mayor’s nomination last May and the Liberal Democrat group backed it unanimously”

“With this in mind, would the Mayor confirm his position in respect of his recent use of his position for blatantly political purposes?”

The Town Mayor replied: “Thank you for your question. I am well aware that any member who uses their position to cause damage to others is guilty of misconduct. I would state categorically that I would not knowingly do anything which would cause that. I am also aware that the appointment of Mayor is non-political. Again I categorically refute that I have used my position for party political purposes.

I was, and still am grateful for your seconding my nomination last May and the unanimous backing of the Liberal Democrat group.

Your question relates to the reception I was planning for the Royal Engineers at Hermitage returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. You no doubt appreciate that in planning such an event
I would be looking for wider support not just from the Town Council but also from elsewhere.

When I received emails from Mike Johnston and yourself which both expressed your agreement to such a reception, I sent them without comment to Richard Benyon, the MP for Newbury, who had expressed his appreciation at this proposal, to indicate the wholehearted support from both sides of this Council for a reception, funded from the Mayor’s Civic budget.

There was no comment from the MP to me either by email or verbally after sending these emails.

I was not aware that the MP would make a statement to the House of Commons on this issue nor did he speak or communicate this in any way to me. I was only made aware of it when the Newbury Weekly News spoke to me about it.

It is my view that you made it quite clear that you were supportive of this reception. If a third party makes critical comments about what you stated, you should address them to him rather than me. I refute very strongly that I was engaged in party political activities on this issue and ask that you withdraw your comments. I have always dealt with you and your side of this Chamber as equally as my own side and have never shown any political bias and never will do in the time frame as Mayor of this Town.”

Councillor Ian Grose then asked the following supplementary question:

“Thank you for your careful and considered answer. It is a shame that this has not been sorted earlier. Your response is at odds with the views of the Leader of the Opposition. I believe that you forwarded the e-mails with no embellishment. Why did you choose to forward this email to Richard Benyon, or do you forward all emails to him?

The Town Mayor replied: “He was interested and supportive as I said before. It is nice to consult with others too and I appreciated the MP’s backing. I do not forward all my emails to Richard Benyon or to anyone else, but on this occasion Mr Benyon had indicated interest and support for the idea, and it was a quick way of telling him of the unanimous support for the reception. I was surprised when it was raised in the House of Commons.”

Councillor Ian Grose responded by thanking the Mayor and stating that the ultimate aim now must be to make sure that the reception is a success. It is hoped that this is the end of the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment