Thursday, June 12, 2008

Goldsmith 1 Carlile 0

It was interesting hearing Lord Goldsmith and Lord......(I can hardly say the word)........Carlile (there you are) debating the 42 days issue on Today this morning. Lord Carlile is an excellent champion of liberalism. So I therefore find it very difficult to fathom why I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him on these matters.

Lord Goldsmith is likely to feature very prominently in the Lords debate on this issue. Look at his CV. He is the longest serving Labour Attorney General ever. He was Attorney General from June 2001 to June 2007. So he was intimately involved in the aftermath of the 9-11 and 7-7 attacks and reviewed resultant cases in "real time" as "suspects" were detained and interviewed. With this first-hand experience, he opposes the 42 day limit on the basis of it being unnecessary and an assault on ancient freedoms.

I think Gordon Brown has met his match.

No comments:

Post a Comment