Friday, October 5, 2007

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who supported the International Bloggers' Day for Burma yesterday.

11325 bloggers and web surfers signed up to support the Day.

Google Blogsearch now has 6959 search hits for "Free Burma".


Abstaining from blogging for the day was quite refreshing.

I managed to get to 8.53pm without temptation. It was then that I saw the Guardian news about the polls. I got as far as pressing the "create" button, and then remembered those Monks.

I have a confession to make. I feel a bit guilty. In the early 1990s there was a LibDem conference emergency debate on Aung San Suu Kyi. I have to admit that I withdrew to the conference coffee bar for a chat. Sorry.

I have belatedly come to the "Free Burma" camp due to two things which have moved me:

1. This report, which I first read on Liberal Revolution:

They systematically ordered all the monks to line up, and banged and crushed each one's head against the brick wall of the monastery. One by one, the peaceful non-resisting monks fell to the ground screaming in pain.

2. The monks. It always takes a great deal to move religious men to get involved in politics. But when they do, you have to admire and be moved by their quiet dignity.

The Burma Campaign UK has an excellent website with loads of info here. There's a march for Burma in London on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment