Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sarah Kennedy: An apology


It is always a surprise to me when postings of mine get read by more than one reader (myself). I was particularly astonished by the number of people who read my recent rant aimed at Radio Two's Sarah Kennedy - which was in this week's LibDem Golden Dozen.
As Stephen Tall comments, it could well be that I take too much notice of Ms Kennedy. I have a clock radio and rather than having an annoying bleep waking me up, I set it to radio mode. I used to have it on Radio Three, which ensured a very relaxing easing into the day at 06:40 hours. However, Radio Three gets a bit "fizzy" on my radio, so I have set it to Radio Two for the last year or so. So, the first thing which enters my conscience, almost intravenously, in the morning is Sarah Kennedy's paper review, which I think she does very well. So maybe that is why I take Ms Kennedy too seriously - her thoughts on current affairs enter my conscience when it is at its most vulnerable, early doors.
I now have an apology about that rant I issued to Ms Kennedy.
A couple of days ago she mentioned that her family comes from Redruth, Cornwall (pictured above),although she was born in East Grinstead. Ah. This has effectively demolished the whole Celtic versus Anglo-Saxon / Murray versus Henman thesis which previously under-pinned my rant.
So I take back everything I said about her. Although I can't go as far as to call her a "Cornish Maid", I think I can claim her as a spiritual "Cornish Maid".
(Mind you, I usually get into trouble when calling people Cornish or not. I once said that Phil Vickery is Cornish and someone said that he is Devonian (he spent the first few hours of his ex-womb life in a hospital in Barnstaple before being re-united with God's own county just outside Kilkhampton))

No comments:

Post a Comment