Friday, September 26, 2008

God's antidote to Anne Atkins

I am being spoilt at the moment. My nearest and dearest has given me tickets for Newbury Corn Exchange to see several of my heroes in quick sucession. Coming up are Ed Byrne and Barry Cryer. Last night I had the great pleasure to be entertained, together with 200 other West Berkshire folk, by Rabbi Lionel Blue.

At the venerable age of 78 he stood in the middle of the stage for two hours and recited a stream of wonderful jokes, strung together by his wonderful, humble, life-worn wisdom.

He really is a fantastic advertisement for religion. He sums it up as "It helps you decide what to do next and gives you a bit of courage to do it - that's all there is to it".

He finished with a little song (hymn) written by Sydney Carter, which he said summed up his religion:

One more step along the world I go,
One more step along the world I go;
From the old things to the new
Keep me travelling along with you:
And it's from the old I travel to the new
Keep me travelling along with you.

Full lyrics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment