Friday, April 17, 2009

Obama's decision on CIA is pragmatic and sensible

When I saw the headline Obama rules out prosecution for CIA officials for interrogation tactics, my heart sank. 'Hello', I thought, 'the disenchantment starts here'. However, his decision not to prosecute operatives for doing what they had Presidential and Attorney General sign-off for seems sensible. I don't see any mileage in lining up CIA interrogators because they did, essentially, what their President at the time had approved.

Mark Valladares puts it much better than I could here:

I think that President Obama has displayed a sense of pragmatism here. Torture has no place in a civilised society, no matter how evil our opponents are, and I trust that such acts will be prohibited, regardless of the circumstances. The victims of torture must be compensated and rehabilitated where possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment