Sunday, November 9, 2008

Remembering my uncle

Once again at this time of the year, my thoughts turn in particular to remembering my uncle, Alan Walter. He was just 18 when his ship, SS Tregarthen, was torpedoed on 6th June 1941. He was killed along with all other "hands".

The ship was in convoy OB329 which consisted of 41 ships and left Liverpool Saturday 31st May 1941, the convoy dispersed Thursday 5th June and the "Tregarthen" was sunk Friday 6th June by U-48 (the most successful U-boat of WWII). The "Tregarthen" was on a voyage from Cardiff to Kingston, Jamaica carrying a cargo of 7800 tonnes of coal and was sunk in approximately 3 minutes after being hit by a double spread of torpedoes both of which hit the ship towards the aft end.

The death of my uncle devastated his family, particularly his mother - my grandmother. Indeed, my father has said that he thinks she was still grieving badly for her son when she died some 25 years later.

My father was called up and served in the Royal Navy. My other uncle, Bill, served in the Fleet Air Arm. My grandfather served in the First World War in the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, including a period in Gallipolli, one of the most bloody disasters of that war. My other grandfather served in the merchant navy in both world wars.

I never forget, with enormous humility, the sacrifice my uncle made for future generations such as myself. I never forget that I have never been "called up" like my father, uncles and grandfathers. I never forget that my ability to speak freely, including writing this blog, is a result of the sacrifice of my uncle and the service of my uncles and grandfathers, and the sacrifice and service of the rest of their generations.

Basically, I am damn lucky and 11am on Remembrance Sunday is the main time, but not the only time, of the year that I remember that.

Whenever I down a pint a beer, whenever I post a blog posting, whenever I walk in the park. It's my uncle Alan and his generation who made it possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment