Friday, March 21, 2008

Give me strength #997: Jeffrey Archer 'hates snobs'

I was rather surprised to read in the Observer's Q&A that Jeffrey Archer 'deplores snobbery' and 'despises snobs'.

This was quite a revelation as I had gone about my business for many years regarding Jeffrey Archer as one of the biggest snobs out.

When I read Michael Crick's Stranger than Fiction I got the overall impression of someone constantly ducking and weaving to climb up the social and establishment ladder.

After all, what are those shepherd's pie and Krug parties with the great and the good if they are not to "imitate, admire, or seek association with people regarded as social superiors" ?

And what are those impressionist paintings by Monet and the like that conspicuously adorn his magnificent flat (directions to the loo are reportedly given as "Turn left at the Monet") if they are not indicative of "One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect" ?

No comments:

Post a Comment