Saturday, May 5, 2007

Desmond Tutu pricks the conscience

There is a sobering and timely reminder of the impact of climate change on Africa from Desmond Tutu in the Guardian's 'Comment is Free' section today.

Reading this article reminded me to order "How many lightbulbs does it take to change a Christian? - A pocket guide to shrinking your ecological footprint". I'd been meaning to do it for a while.

This booklet is what has been called in the press, "The Ten Green Commandments" from the Church of England.

I and my family have made a lot of progress (eg. lowish emitting cars, light bulbs, holiday to discover the joys of western Scotland by car this year, dutifully using the recycling bins, the missus hangs out clothes to dry, taking showers instead of baths, putting a hippo in the cisterns, using both sides of paper etc etc) but I think this booklet will be helpful in niggling away at our conscience to do more.

The booklet seems to have been written in such a way as to encourage people by praising small successes. For example, it says: "Sign up to stop receiving wasteful junk mail." and "Use the toaster rather than the grill when making toast to conserve energy". Well, we signed up to the Mailing Preference Service, which stops a lot of junk mail, ages ago. And, I can't remember the last time I used the grill to toast bread. So that gives me a warm glow and will encourage me to go further with other things.



No comments:

Post a Comment