Saturday, December 6, 2008

A sight for sore eyes



I just blog about the things which take my fancy. After months droning on about Alaska and the US elections, my interested has now oscillated the other way - sublime to the ridiculous and all that - and I am now back whittering on about Newbury I am afraid. Well at least for two posts, that is.

This morning I was moved to great activity with my handy little camera. This photo above is of a remarkable sight. Well, I'll modify that. It looks like just an ordinary building site to anyone outside of Newbury. But to a Newbury resident this is a sight to warm the cockles of one's heart.

It's ten years since our cinema closed. We have the excellent Corn Exchange screen but otherwise we've had to drive to Basingstoke, or Reading, or Swindon, or Oxford for a cinema for ten years.

The much promised replacement cinema has been off and on and off and on and off and on again ad nauseam for a decade. Then the digging started at the site of the new building at the junction of Cheap Street and Market Street. For a while it was just a hole. But today I saw the first tangible signs of the building.

Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment