Thursday, September 13, 2007

Guilty Pleasures #593 - Barry White

...A bit of light relief from World War Three.

I am a man who likes to keeping reasonably up-to-date with music (or at least try to pretend to be - which is no doubt embarrassing), normally via being pulled along via my bootstraps by my offspring and wife. I am a great fan of Dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip. Their (his?) latest track "The beat that my heart skipped" is wonderful.

So, I am proud of liking the odd "cutting edge" track, even if I am sure I am very embarrassing about it (Dads dancing at weddings and all that). For example I am not sure (as you see above) whether DLSVSP is a he, she, they or, indeed, they.

But even John Peel used to throw in a Status Quo track when he did a gig. My guilty pleasure is Barry White. Embarrassing, but what a master he was! He used to sing, conduct the orchestra (Love Unlimited Orchestra - see the old memory cells are working), write the songs, arrange the orchestration, produce the records and clean the toilets they were recorded in ("You're the first the last my everything" must have been recorded in a toilet to get that sort of tinny, echoey acoustic on the vocals and orchestra - how else would have have got it in those days before digital effects?)

Any road up. I had an attack of old-fogey guilty pleasures the other day. I usually listen to XFM or Virgin on the way home. Due to transmissional interference (that's my excuse), I listened to Kick FM during my obligatory five minute sit on the A339 in Newbury. They played "You see trouble with me". Glory be! The old Chief Burbler's In car system, needless to say, was turned up to full welter.

What a man that old walrus was!

Enjoy it below if you want. But it has to be turned up to full ear-bleeding volume to proerly enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment