Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Drama breathes new life into old music

Peter Black's comments on the last episode of "Life on Mars" echo my thoughts on it. Brilliant, even if I still can't really work out what it is about.

The LoM producers are following up the success of programmes like Heartbeat and Royal, in breathing new life into old music.

Last night's "Life on Mars" featured, of course, "Life on Mars" from David Bowie's "Hunky Dory" album. It was interesting to hear how the BBC managed to (I presume) engineer a sustained ending to the final chord of this masterpiece. Undoctored, we would have heard the chinky piano and telephone ringing at the end. Instead there was a sustained, uninterrupted chord. I can't remember any version of the track with this (unless someone can enlighten me?) so they (the BBC) must have engineered it.

And they got in "Love lies bleeding" from Elton John. Blimey - that track has been crying out for use on a soundtrack for over thirty years. Unfortunately it is part of a very long track including the exceptional "Funeral for a friend" which, presumably, has led producers to avoid it.

Lastly, they had a brilliant song which I have never heard before: "I hope that I don't fall in love with you" by Hootie and the Blowfish. It is fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment