Sunday, May 28, 2006

Prescott: Playing with the Kenneth Clarke Croquet set

As I was queuing at the superb Victoria park cafe yesterday, I took advantage of a copy of the "Mail on Sunday" which they had available for customers. I wouldn't otherwise buy such an organ. I read the story about John Prescott's game of croquet. I suppose its significance is emblematic more than anything else. Of course, it is ludicrous that Prescott is getting paid so much money to chair the odd cabinet meeting and make the odd trip to Finland.

But if you think it through, the croquet game is not that shocking. He was with members of his office staff. I have played games on lawns with office colleagues before during "woods meetings" or "training meetings".

Think about it. If you were feeling stressed out and couldn't be arsed to go into work for a day, what would you do? I suspect you would do the odd email on your laptop every so often, interspersed by watching the telly, having a lie-down and maybe having a sit or lie-down in the garden.

I doubt that you would invite over a few office colleagues for a game of croquet.

By the way, it should be mentioned that he was using the Kenneth Clarke croquet kit.

2 comments:

  1. I have no problem with Two Mallets enjoying such a pastime, but I am happy to sign Paul up for a year sub of the Mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few thoughts on the Mail on Sunday:

    1) He shouldn't be doing it, he's a total embarassment as Deputy Prime Minister.

    2) The scenario "Prescott Prime Minister after a Galloway-inspired assassination" scares me. Or would the Queen simply send for Brown?

    3) Also in the Mail on Sunday - Claire Short says nice things about Ming - "A real gentleman". And she wants a hung parliament...

    ReplyDelete