Monday, June 25, 2007

Cameron revisits his own disgorgement

I managed to listen to David Cameron on Today this morning. That is quite a feat for me, because I usually switch over to Chris Moyles the moment he is introduced (I do the same for "from our Oxford studio, writer and broadcaster, A.."). Now Cameron is behind in the polls I can just about stand him, because I know I am not alone in seeing right through him.

Cameron was on about non-selection in schools. You have to hand it to him. Doglike, he is not afraid to revisit his own disgorgement. He emphasised that 'figures show that non-selective schools play a significant role in increasing social mobility'. I agree. But I think it will kick off the Grammarsgate rumpus in the Tory party ranks again.

I also note that Cameron said that "fundamentally" the way to increase social mobility is through strong families and therefore encouraging marriage is the answer. Oh crikey. That fragile old chestnut, from the patronising Tories, already torn apart by Polly Toynbee and others the last time they tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment